Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 Sum Up

2007 have been one of the biggest years of my life. I always like to stop and think about where I was the year earlier and take the time to reflect on how far I came along since then or to catch the backwards slide that I may have endured. Regardless, around this time of year, its nice to stop and look back into the year and start thinking about the upcoming year and what you hope to accomplish.

Last year at this time, I had just graduated from college and took a few weeks to relax before I began to apply for jobs. I'm assuming I was just being a waitress, drinking heavily, living with my parents, and feeling very nervous/skeptical that I wasn't ever going to get a job. Based on my scrappy resume and non-existant experience in an office setting, I thought I was going to have to beg and plead someone to hire me.

2007 was huge because I officially began to live in my own life. I feel that until your financially independent or the very least, working at a real job and not having to superly depend on your parents, you are just a supporting character in their story You were created because of what path they chose once they were on their own. John and Karen (my parents) got married, had baby Kristine, moved baby and older sister Heidi out of Queens to Middletown, had baby Jason, raised the kids, watched them go to college and so on.

Now it is my life. Everything I do, I do because I want to. I have complete control of where I go and who I will someday grow to be.

This year I got my first real job. I learned how to work on hours that didn't run late into the night or include spilling fish sauce all over myself and customers (by accident, not on purpose of course). I have learned how to sit still for more than 15 minutes (which is amazing for me who has adhd tendencies), and really, I just embraced New York.

This year I moved to Hoboken, which has been an insane learning experience. After I got my job, knew right away I wanted to move to Hoboken. I went onto craigslist, found two girls looking for someone to fill their room, and that was that. The apartment is great, I really love it, but let me tell you, moving into a railroad style apartment with strangers is tough. Megan(my roommate) had to walk through my room to get to the rest of the place. For thr first two months, I was constantly on edge and tried to remain scarce. But eventually I got comfortable and now its greatt. I hate the idea of getting older, but as long as I know I have upgraded from the last year a bit, its not nearly so bad. So what do I hope for 2008?

The first thing was my living situation. I was not going to be a 25 year old living in a railroad apartment. I do want to focus on my writing more this year and attempt to do some freelance, so I need a desk and just a place where I have peace and privacy. Plus, what happens if 2008 brings the love of my life? I'll want him to spend the night and I'm sure Megan really doesn't want to walk in on me in the middle of something....

As it turns out, the gods were listening, and next thing I knew, I was being told that my roommate Joanne was moving out and that we'd need to find someone new. The first thing that popped into me mind was her HUGE room and I jumped on the opportunity. And let me tell you (because I'm sitting in here right now) the room is super large and beautiful and everything I could want. So right there. 2008 is going great.

I also hope to write. I feel that in 2007 I dribbled here and there but couldn't focus and make it the priority that I want it to be. So 2008 will include myself cutting back on going out as much and instead working on writing.

Other things include getting healthy and back into shape, paying off credit cards...etc etc. You know, the usual.

2007 was great Such a year of growth and change and I'm excited to see whats next.

No comments: