Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Business Proposition

One of my newly discovered pet peeves is when people have a lot of money and don't spend it. I guess technically it makes sense that the people who spend (like yours truly) are obviously the ones who don't have any vs. those who save have some money. But say you die tomorrow. Who wants those last moments on earth regretting that you didn't buy that new car or that house on the shore you've been eyeing for years....or perhaps funding a project your friend Kristine wanted to begin.

Once upon a time, way back when in the late 90's when I was in high school, I worked at this wonderful coffee house, The House Of Coffee (I know original). It was a great place to work. The coffee house resided in the Galleria, which is a restored Factory, so it had a very cozy strong feeling about it and a sense of history. We had great regulars, good food, drinks, and such potential to thrive. But sadly, the people who owned and managed weren't very restaurant savvy and the HOC closed. A year or so later they re-merged as a tapas place Savannah, which I walked by last week and it looked to have closed down.

The first thing that came to mind was - Omg. What I would give to re-open the House of Coffee, but under my regime. Having worked in the restaurant business for almost 10 years, I have great confidence that I could absolutely run a successful coffee house. It used to pain me to watch the poor management of other places I worked, but it also taught me what would be good. My biggest objective is customer service and the best way to succeed is to have good clientele and know your people, make it a home and a place they feel welcome. How many places over the years I have returned to again and again because the staff knew me, how I liked my usual meal/drink/etc. and were up to date with what was going on in my life. Why even last week, I was hanging out with one of my regular waiter turned friends and years later, he can still tell me my usual. That's what I'd want out of my business.

My House of Coffee would encourage people to sit around and hangout (vs. the old one that only liked it if people were constantly buying) and would attempt tomake it a local artistic hub. For example, I'd invite reading and writing groups to have their meeting there, open mikes, art shows, and basically anything that promotes creativity and a sense of community. That would absolutely be a dream.

Now here's the dilemma. Um who has money for such venture? Do you think there would be anyone in the world who is just brewing in non-used money who'd like to be my cash flow? It could happen right? Perhaps some older gentleman may find my idea inspiring and want to provide the gift of fulfilling a daydream....right

Well keep a look out for me. There's got to be someone out there. In exchange for their generous donation, of course there will be a portrait hanging on the wall of their face and my unending love and devotion. That's a fair trade right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristine,

So many dreams can be realised if people were committed to improving their systems bit by bit.

Art can live in harmony with organisation.Maybe a cafe /gallery..

You need a business plan template for an investor angel to begin, all the best


best Rebecca

http://harmonic-attraction-zone.blogspot.com/